Thursday, July 24, 2014

A Garden Flag or two

One of the activities we did last week at Grammie Camp was to paint Garden Flags.   This is a picture of mine.  I love sunflowers.  I've tried without success to grow them at the cottage.  So if you can't grow one.. draw one.     We used a blue glue technique to draw our design on the lightweight sheer fabric.  Then after the blue glue dried, we used water based acrylic paint to paint the different sections.  The fabric under the dried blue glue lines will remain white.  Then let it dry for a few hours and then wash to get all the glue and excess paint off.    I happened to be at the drug store today, and they had garden flag holders on 30% off, so yippee for me.    This little sunflower will hang in my little cottage garden for the rest of the summer.     
I had an extra blank flag prepared so I made it into a quilty style flag to hang at the church.  It will be used when the hand quilters are there doing their craft.  The first quilter in hangs out the flag.   That way, less mobile quilters will know somebody is in and they won't make the trip up the long staircase to a locked door, only having to turn around and take the long way in to unlock the door.    I think this is just darling.   See the cute "A" I drew for St. Anthony's Church.     
The garden flags drying on the line. 


2 comments:

Vicki W said...

What a fun project and the idea for the church flag as a signal is inspired!

Kathy said...

You guys are too much!
Maybe if I drive by St Anthony's and the flag is out, I will come in for a visit! How would that be??