Saturday, November 30, 2013

Block Construction improvement - the Reveal

Earlier in the week, I shared with you that I was working on an experiment to make a block in a more fabric efficient way.    

The pattern that I really like, and I think I will be making a few of these quilts, is called Paper Hearts by Tula Pink.    I bought the book that the pattern was in.  It's called Sew Red.   

Each of the sub-blocks is half a heart.   The bottom of the heart is made by putting a square of fabric at the bottom of the larger rectangle, and sew a diagonal line.   Then cut off the corner.  This is the part that bothers me.

One way to save the wasted corner fabric is to sew another line and there would be a large half square triangle to use in another project.    But for me I would rather be more efficient in using the fabric.   
 
So with a little thought, I calculated a way to add 3/4 inch to one side of the light square and put it in the middle of a fat quarter strip of the proper width.    Then sew the two diagonal seams and cut them apart.   

Do that again on a second strip with the diagonal seams going in the other direction.    (it's hard to see in this picture but it's there)  This method makes two blocks.

There will be a little to trim off the top of the sub-blocks before proceeding with the corner triangles.   These corners are diagonal stitched, and lopped off too.  But they are smaller so it's not as big a waste.

So, do you like Tula's design?  I really like it.  And I like the colors she chose.   So, using my my fabric-efficient method of construction, I will definitely be making one or two of these quilts in the new year.  

I'm glad I tried this and I now have two more blocks to go in my "Misc. blocks" box

I continue as per the pattern directions.
Sewing the little squares to the corners.
Then sew the two halves together.
Voila.  Two blocks.

2 comments:

Linda H said...

Good for you Gail. I dislike unnecessary waste too.

momto1 said...

What a good idea!!! You explained it so easily. Now, let's hope I can remember that next time I need it. That's such a useful method. Thanks for figuring it out and sharing, Gail.