Thursday, October 3, 2013

To Paint or not to Paint, that is the Question?

I've had this breadbox since I was a young married woman.   It's from the 1950's.  I think it came from my father;s mother's house, but I can't be sure.  I use it every day, and I can't imagine living without it.   I checked the internet, and it is vintage, but it's not that valuable.

I've been painting the kitchen, and have been wrestling with myself over the question.....  Should I sand and paint this or not?  I'm planning on painting the two stools at my island an accent color like red or brown.  But I feel I need something else red too.  

I know... I'll ask my sister and see what she says.


3 comments:

Sandi Mac said...

Why not the best of both worlds? With a small brush brighten up the red that is already there. Then add red tail feathers - the yellow tail feathers looks perfectly spaced to do this. Then is you want more red, paint the knobs red or replace them purchased red ceramic ones. You will have an updated piece, added more red and maintained the integrity of the piece. I love red bits in a kitchen.

Anonymous said...

I say add some Red -- you can't go wrong! It is the most cheerful colour. Jeanne Kaye

Sandra said...

Wipe it with Lemon Oil and leave it as it is. So many vintage/antique pieces get "refinished" and lose their value. Hubby is an antique dealer and sees this happen too often.