Saturday, October 22, 2011

Oatmeal Cookies

My sister said she would send me the perfect 25oatmeal cookie recipe she has. 

She hasn't sent it yet, so today, I dug out my trusted old Purity Flour cookbook.  The inscription inside said that I received this book from a friend (Hello Marilyn, where ever you are) in 1974.   I opened it to the oatmeal cookies page and it's really dirty and very familiar.    

Hmm... It's the page I use all the time for my favorite peanut butter cookie recipe.  I had never noticed the oatmeal cookie recipe before.  
  
Here we go.   
Well, the recipe made 23 cookies.  But after baking for 10 minutes, they came out exactly like I put them in.  Hand formed balls.     My problem with my old recipe is that they flatten out too much and spread into one another.  This recipe didn't flatten at all.  
I re-read the recipe to see where I went wrong.  I was supposed to flatten them with a fork before baking.

They taste good, but this is not the recipe for me.  I'm still on the hunt.

3 comments:

Dolores said...

I'm sure that they will get eaten even in ball form.

Heidi said...

My favorite oatmeal cookie recipe is on the lid to the container of oatmeal. It always works well - and under baking them by 1-2 minutes is always key. Good luck on your hunt.

Wendy said...

I have a fave. It is an icebox oatmeal cookie. Makes a generous amount and when I make the dough I also make a batch of date filling and refrigerate it too. So easy to slice off a dozen cookies and bake them and then fill . They soften up and are just perfect with a cup of tea. mmm makes me want to go make a batch right now!