Sunday, July 31, 2011

Winter Wonderland - Week 5 of 5

I can't believe how quick these 5 Sundays in July have come and go.  This week, I easily completed the long skinny holly block.   Because it had no trees or snowflakes, it was an easy finish. 

I'm really trying to stitch "Clean", but with those french knots (which I love doing), it's hard to avoid those little floating threads in the back.   I'm glad I'm using the two layers of cotton, because they do hide the floats really well.

Taking the advice of one of my commenters last month, and even though I still have 5 smaller blocks left to do, I've decided to start the largest block next.  It's the one with the Walking in Winter Wonderland" words.  It's the signature block.   

I discovered I enjoyed using the smaller 5.5" spring hoop when I was doing the holly leaves.  I found that my fingers could reach the center of the hoop and I didn't have to reposition as often as the larger hoop.   So I have started the "Walking" block with the smaller hoop, and I think it'll be the one I use from now on. 


Well, there it is, my Christmas in July project has kept me busy and entertained all July.  I'm thinking I should have called it  my Christmas in the Summer because, for sure, this will take me the rest of the summer to complete the stitching.

4 comments:

Dolores said...

Have you thought of putting an iron-on lightweight interfacing on the back? It would hide the threads, give it body and quite often, a hoop is not needed. The interfacing I am talking about looks a bit like a knit - very pliable.

paulette said...

I am loving watching you stitch this...my pattern and fabric await...you are making it look 'do-able'. Thanks for the tip about the 5" hoop!! It's a good one! Such inspiration!
P

Quilt n Queen said...

Hi Gail...received my copy of McCalls in the mail on Saturday.....I haven't had a chance to read the article. I just finished a 3 day quilt retreat ...it was great fund.....but I am exhausted. I'll read the article tomorrow...having trouble keeping my eyes focused on anything and my mind's not focused either. I took an embroidery class on Saturday and one bit of info I found interesting was about the size of hoop we should use......when holding on to the hoop your fingers should be able to reach the center of your hoop ...we tend to use hoops that are too big for our hands.....I prefer not to use a hoop at all. Today I took a 'hand quilting without a hoop' class by Suzanne Marshall...another great class. Have a wonderful evening!!

Wendy said...

You are moving right along! Good for you! Looking forward to the finished product.