Sunday, March 27, 2011

Grocery Shopping - Cactus

I stumbled across this bottle of tender Cactus at the grocery store today.  It may be known as nopalitos to people in Mexico.   I have never heard of it.  This bottle of tender cactus was not not expensive, about $1.50.  

I'm not a very adventurous eater, but I think I can try this.  I was surprized to find quite a few recipes available.  This bottle of nopalitos will come home with me, and this summer, when we have a family bbq,  I think I'll make this Southwest salad with the cactus.   The recipe comes from allrecipes.com

Southwest Salad

Ingredients

  • Southwestern Cactus Salad Recipe1 (16 ounce) jar nopales - drained, rinsed, and dried
  • 2 cups chopped tomatoes
  • 1/2 cup diced onion
  • 5 jalapeno peppers, seeded and minced
  • 1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves
  • 2 lemons
  • 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt (optional)
Directions:  In a medium size mixing bowl, combine cactus, tomatoes, onions, jalapenos and cilantro.  Sqeeze the juice from both lemons over the mixture.  Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.  Sprinkle with garlic salt (if you like) and serve.

 

3 comments:

Donna's chitchat said...

Thanks for the warning!

Joanne said...

Sounds very different.

Lee said...

Cactus! who would have guessed? But we eat dulse, and there are plenty of people who scratch their head about that. tee hee

This sounds like something my heat-loving family would brag about eating, given the hot pepper count in the recipe.