Monday, January 24, 2011

Do you recognize this box?

If you're a quilter, you probably do recognize it.....

Yep, a Singer 221...aka - a featherweight.  I had no idea I really wanted one until I got this one home. It doesn't have many accessories, but it did come with a couple of bobbins.  I have an old jar of feet that came from my mother's sewing room and I'm positive that some of those feet will fit this machine... I can't wait to try them.

Anyway, according to the serial number, this Singer 221 was manufactured in 1951. 

I guess the fad for quilters is to have one that was manufactured in the year you were born.  I'm a few years off, but I think I'll love having this little gem just the same. 

I haven't tried sewing with it yet because I have a little visitor, but when she's gone,  you can bet I'm going to test it out - probably Tuesday.   Until then, I'm going to have fun thinking of a little project I can sew on it from start to finish...

Is anyone keeping count of how many sewing machines I have?...   Care to guess?

6 comments:

Karen said...

Ohhhh - you will love it! I have 4Featherweights, including a Centennial edition which has never been used (a rare fine.) My favourite- and the one I use often - is a 222 freearm. Where did you find yours, Gail?
Including my Featherweights, I have 14 machines. When I say that it almost makes me feel I should begin the sentence with, My name is Karen and I'm a sewingmachineaholoic...*-)
Enjoy your treasure. Any of the old short shank feet will fit.

Dolores said...

As Karen (above) will tell you, I am jealous. I have wanted for years and it keeps reappearing on the MOM List of things I want. So far, no one has taken the bait. I don't really want to count how many machines I have but suffice it to say it's more than six.
Where did you find it?

Linda H said...

I'm guessing you have five machines Gail. Am I close? Where did you find this one?

Karen said...

I have to comment on Delores' comment, as she coined the perfect phrase in an email correspondence a couple of weeks' ago. I mentioned a non-working Featherweight, which Delores cleverly called a Paper Weight. I love that!
I'd also love to see how many machines other people will own up to having!

Mary Johnson said...

I want one too!

Not sure how many machines you have but if you include the longarm I have 4 so I'm guess more??

Kathy said...

Well Gals,
I am NOT a collector, just an admirer...I have 3 machines, a Featherweight that I love, a Designer SE that I love love, and an old Singer (from 1974) in a table that I used to love! Gail, you have now got...um 5, is that right? hahaha, you have many that you use and loan or test or enjoy or.... Can't count your serger right?