Friday, September 10, 2010

Sewing up a Tea Bag of Spices

This afternoon, we boiled up some beets with a plan to pickle them. The recipe calls for 3 tablespoons of pickling spice tied up in a few layers of cheesecloth. I never have cheesecloth. So here's what I did instead.

Take a couple of scrap squares of fabric and sew around 3 sides.

Then turn the square inside out and put the proper amount of pickling spice in it.

Then close up the open side and sew it shut.

Put your teabag full of spice into your vinegar mixture to boil. Remove the teabag of spices and pour the spiced vinegar over the cooked sliced beats.

Voila, Pickled Beets!

4 comments:

Linda H said...

Funny how every recipe is different. My recipe only calls for 3 whole cloves in each bottle, and a bit of ground allspice in with the vinegar and sugar syrup. No pickling spices. My SIL's recipe calls only for the whole cloves.. But they all taste good in the end.. that's what matters. By the way I always have cheesecloth, if you ever need some...

Karen said...

I love pickled beets... and the smell of anything being pickled!

Anonymous said...

What a clever idea. My recipe calls for pickling spices and we love it. Lucy

Quilt n Queen said...

I'm like you I never have cheesecloth. I'll be using your spice bag idea when I make my pickled beets this year. Pauline