Thursday, August 19, 2010

Onion and pepper relish

Last year, while snowbirding in the states, I fell in love with the Onion and Pepper relish from Harry and David. My sister discovered a similar one that is just as good at the Gourmet Shoppe. I bought a good supply to bring home with me, but that only lasted a short while. I'm not sure that either of these stores are in Canada, at least they are not in eastern Canada, so buying more is not a good option.

So, after a little research on the Internet, I realize that there's dozens of copycat recipes for the Harry and David Onion and Pepper relish. I browsed through many and landed upon this one at "Skip to my Lou" . She has great pictures.

I made yesterday and it's a BIG success. This salsa like relish is sweet, but has a hot kick to it. If you are a red pepper jelly fan, you'll like this.
In all my reading about this recipe, a popular appetizer is to mix this relish with softened cream cheese and then to put on a cracker. You can bet that next time I have company for dinner, it's going to be on my menu.

2 comments:

Donna's chitchat said...

I think I might just try this recipe! looks fantastic...
yum yum

Mick said...

Yum yum yum!! I can't wait to try it!