Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Melbourne, Fl Quilt Show favorites - Storm at Sea

Well, it seams that I am drawn to water. We love to spend time at the lake in the summer. Our snowbird accommodations preference is right on the oceans edge. Our vacations lately all seem to have some cruising or water component. So I guess it's natural that I'm drawn to the quilts that are done using that old traditional favorite, Storm at Sea.
These three Storms caught my eye. This first one is a full size quilt . I was standing looking at it with another quilter, and she kept saying, "It's making me dizzy". There was so much movement in the waves, that is hard to capture in a picture. It was beautiful.
These two smaller storms had interest because the maker used different fabric for some strategically placed diamonds to give focus to a different shape. I loved this subtle red heart.
The bold intentional heart and two stars are so prominent on this quilt. This left me wondering if there were two very special people in this quilt maker's mind when she made this. The writeup didn't say. I enjoyed the blue and greys that is coloring this storm.
A Storm at Sea is definitely going on my to-do list. Maybe it will be the kit that I bring with me next year as we snowbird along the ocean.
Watch tomorrow as I show you more favorites.

3 comments:

Joanne said...

Thanks for showing those beautiful quilts. I find "Storm at Sea" so magical - simple design but so much movement. It is one on my to-do list too.

Karen said...

Love the Storm at Sea - have done 4 of them, and different elements "pop" each time depending on colour placement. You took great pictures at the show - thanks for sharing them.

Anonymous said...

THanks for all the pictures of the show. Almost as good as being there and as having you back here with us. Linda G