Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Take-Along bag by Lazy Girl Designs

When I'm looking to do a simple project in an afternoon, I keep a list of people in my head who could use a Take-Along bag. This fat quarter friendly pattern is by Lazy Girl Designs and almost every quilter I know has one that they tote their sewing stuff in.

I've made them for a couple of soon-to-be moms. Along with the bag, I've included a drug store gift card and some maternity related items they might need while in the hospital. See the one I made for Denise here.

A couple of years ago, I made a Coffee Cat Bag and filled it with coffee inspired spa items for a Run for the Cure auction. I've made these same Coffee Cat bags for my three girls, my sister and her two girls. I loved using that java cat directional print just for these bags.

.
I was looking to do a small project yesterday before diving into finishing my blue quilt, so I pulled some fabrics from my stash to make a bag for myself to travel with.

Just after I finished making it, I realized I know 5 children who are old enough to have their own travel bag and it just so happens they'll all be taking a big trip soon. I also know a mom-to-be. While no sewing was done today, I did spend some time pulling fun fabrics, matching up zipper colors and cutting kits for the 6 bags. This will be a good sewing project for a day next week, maybe a snowy day! Watch for a picture of those finished bags after the next big snowfall.

Yep, the Take-Along bag.. it's one of those patterns I'll use for a long time yet.

2 comments:

Donna's chitchat said...

What... no comments... man...oh..man.. these bags are awesome. They are the perfect size, they give you so much freedom to choose wacky or sweet fabrics... they take 2 hours to make... and the buttons are the funnest part!!!
I love mine.. (Which is the latte cat bag) and I have made probably 20 of them (some of those with Gails assistance).. and I have even made several with solid black fabric and vibrant neon embroidery of the person's name on the bag as Christmas Gifts... come to think of it... I can blog that now... the surprise is over... yipee... love the bags..

Jill said...

Hi Gail,
I got a kindle for Christmas and I was hoping that you might take on the project of creating me a kindle sleeve/case...I have been looking on Etsy and see some styles that I like, but I'd rather send the business your way, if you're interested...

I LOVE, love, love the take along bag by the way!